Hi! I live in Echmiadzin, Armavir region.
Armavir, is a province (marz) in the western part of Armenia. Its capital is Armavir, and the largest city is Vagharshapat. It is located in the Ararat valley, between Mount Ararat and Mount Aragats, and shares a 45-mile border with Turkey to the south and west.The province is home to the spiritual centre of the Armenian nation; the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin of the Armenian Apostolic Church. It is the seat of the Catholicos of All Armenians.The province is named after the ancient city of Armavir founded in 331 BC. The province is also the site of the decisive Battle of Sardarabad in 1918 that resulted in the foundation of the Republic of Armenia. The battle is seen as a crucial historical event not only by stopping the Turkish advance into the rest of Armenia but also preventing the complete destruction of the Armenian nation.The Metsamor Nuclear Power Plant is also located in Amravir Province near the town of Metsamor.The Yerevan Zvartnots International Airport is located near the village of Parakar in Armavir Province (12km west of Yerevan). Plan the details of your Armavir Province holiday and any onward adventuring with our easy-to-use Armenia online road trip planner.
Zvartnots, a complex of buildings near Vagharshapat, has exceptional architectural value. It consisted of Zvartnots temple and the palace of Catholicos. This majestic cathedral was built in 641-661 years by order of the Catholicos Nerses III the Builder, who due to construction activities was called «Builder». Zvartnots was erected at the place where king Trdat III walked toward Gregory the Illuminator, arriving to Vagharshapat, and it is assumed that Catholicos Nerses III built the temple as a dedication to this meeting. So, the temple is also called St. Gregory, however, it’s better known as Zvartnots, since it was also devoted to heavenly angels. «Zvartun» meant «angel» in ancient times and, therefore, Zvartnots is Temple of Celestial Angels. According to the medieval Armenian historian Movses Kaghankatvatsi, the cathedral was consecrated in 653. Following the Arab occupation of Dvin and the intensifying wars between the Byzantine and Arab armies on the eastern borders, Nerses transferred the patriarchal palace of the Catholicos from Dvin to Zvartnots.
At the end of X century Zvartnots was destroyed probably by an earthquake, but historical sources are silent as to the cause of its collapse. Zvartnots remained buried until its remains were uncovered at the start of the 20th century under the direction of vardapet (Archimandrite) Khachik Dadyan . The site was excavated between 1901-1907 with participation of architect Toros Toramanyan, who restore the temple design and till now most scholars accept this reconstruction. It became known that this central-dome temple consisted of three reducing in diameter polyhedrons crowned with a cone-shaped cupola. Zvartnots was built from light gray to black colored tufa stones and had 5 entrances, and the height of the temple was almost 45 meters, while the diameter of the lower polyhedron was equal to 35.75 meters.
Architectural style and beauty of Zvartnots were so significant, that during the final decade of X century, king Gagik I Bagratuni ordered architect Trdat to build a close imitation of the temple in Ani, Gagikashen Church (St. Gregory).
Saint Gayane Church
The Church of Saint Gayane is located in Echmiadzin town – the religious center of Armenia. The church was built by the order of Catholicos Ezra in 630. The place for the church was not chosen randomly. In this very place, there was a chapel in which Gayane, the abbess of Christian virgins, was martyred by the hands of Armenian King Trdat. Gayane was later elevated to the rank of saints. Now the relics of Saint Gayane are buried in the southern part of the church.
The Church of Saint Gayane is located to the south of the Etchmiadzin Cathedral. Simple dome basilica has the characteristic style of the architecture of the VII-th century. The dome is located on four columns, which gives the church the shape of a cross. Despite the fact that the church does not have decorative elements, it looks no less luxurious on the background of the main cathedral.
In 1652 the church was reconstructed, and in 1683 a gallery was added to the western façade. Here is located a necropolis with the buried hierarchs of the Armenian clergy.
Saint Gayane Church, like other churches on the territory of Etchmiadzin, is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Gevorkian Theological Seminary is a theological university of the Armenian Apostolic Church founded by Catholicos George IV in 1874. It is located in the town of Vagharshapat (Etchmiadzin) within the complex of the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin, Armenia.
Serious restructuring of the Gevorkian Seminary took place in 1999 when Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians, ascended the throne of Saint Gregory the Illuminator. Catholicos Karekin proposed to increase the number of students while at the same time raising the responsibilities of the administrative and teaching staff.
Under the supervision and immediate participation of the Catholicos, the educational curriculum of the seminary underwent fundamental changes. To guarantee a high level of education, doctors, professors and candidates of sciences; who have devoted their lives to educate Armenian youth and develop sciences, were invited to teach in the seminary.
In 2001–2002 the Gevorkian Theological Seminary acquired the status of an Institution of Higher Religious Education. After review of the restructuring and enhanced curriculum, the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Armenia granted the seminary the status of a Religious University. In 2002, a major reconstruction effort was undertaken due to the donations of Gevork and Sirvard Hovnanian of the United States. Every room of the seminary has been refinished, and the structural integrity of the building enhanced. The new classrooms were used starting with the 2003/2004 school year.
Saint Hripsime Church
The VII century temple of Saint Hripsime is located at the entrance to Echmiadzin town and immediately attracts attention with its majesty.
The name of the church is connected with the history of St. Hripsime. Hripsime was one of the Christians who ran away from Rome to Armenia in 301 hoping to find shelter. Hripsime was so beautiful that the Roman emperor himself could not resist her beauty. After refusing the Emperor, Hripsime and her friends had to run away to Alexandria, where the Mother of God appeared to her and showed the way to Armenia. Unfortunately, the virgins did not find peace in Armenia as well, as King Trdat, hearing about the beauty of Hripsime, also wanted to take her as his wife. Being refused by Hripsime, the king ordered to kill all 37 Christians.
In the IV century on the site of the execution of Hripsime a chapel was built, and in the VII century, the Hripsime church was built instead of the chapel. The relics of St. Hripsime, who was later canonized, are kept in a crypt, under the altar of the church.
Throughout its history, the church has been repeatedly destroyed and rebuilt. Today the Church of St. Hripsime is in excellent condition, and, as a unique value, has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.